Thursday, October 15, 2015

"Ugly Dolls"


I love the story of the creation of the "Ugly Doll".  I thought it would be a great idea to show the students what careers are out there for artists and how you can use your creativity to become successful.  I thought it would be a great opportunity to teach students how to sew by hand as well!

Here are a couple videos that I showed the students to introduce what "Ugly Dolls" are all about.





Students in the 6th grade will be creating an "Ugly Doll".  David Horvath's definition of ugly is unique, different and special.  Each doll he designs is a manifestation of things we might not like about ourselves that we really should love.  Students can use this idea to come up with a dolls personality, but they don't have to.

I am having them first plan out an idea for their doll.  I want to know its name and what its all about. They will do a small sketch and think about color.  Then they will draw a pattern.

Here is what my talented students have been doing so far.








No comments:

Post a Comment